SCD1 output

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I am seeing interesting output when I use the SCD1.  The Kimball dataflow evaluates the source and existing dimension for changes and the outputs the data from the existing dimension rather than the changed data from the source.  The rows that are changed are correct and they are identified as SCD1 changes but my "Updated SCD1" data output is from the existing dimension.  My expectation is that the updated rows in the source would be in the output rather than what currently exists in the dimension.   Please let me know if my assumptions are correct or I am missing something in a configuration setting. 

Thank you in advance for you help

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Sounds like you are expecting the right thing.  Can you provide an example of what is happening?

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM
Todd,

Thank you for your quick response. What is the best way to present an example. My initial thought is to try and dump the two data sources into an Excel file (they are about 5,000 records) and then present a screen should and a copy of the output. I don't know if this helps but it seems to only be an issue where I am doing Type 1 changes exclusively

Marc Roberts

To: [email removed]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:05:30 -0700
Subject: Re: SCD1 output [kimballscd:209185]

Sounds like you are expecting the right thing. Can you provide an example of what is happening?
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (kimballscd@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email kimballscd@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Apr 15, 2010 at 10:40 PM

If you can contrive a simple example with a few CSVs - or even some RAW files (since they keep metadata intact) that would be great.  I haven't seen what you're describing happen...

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:42 PM
Todd,

I have recently inherrited this project from some consultants. They had installed an older version of the Kimball SCD software. When I upgraded to v1.5 this problem went away. The Type II changes were working as I expected but the Type I's were displaying the unexpected behavior in more than a couple packages. I like the interface better in the 1.5 version so I am happy I upgraded but I appologize for bringing this up as an issue when I should have upgraded first.

Marc Roberts

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:40:15 -0700
Subject: Re: SCD1 output [kimballscd:209185]

If you can contrive a simple example with a few CSVs - or even some RAW files (since they keep metadata intact) that would be great. I haven't seen what you're describing happen...
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (kimballscd@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email kimballscd@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Coordinator
Apr 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM

No problem, Marc.

Thanks for taking the time to learn about the component and making the effort to work with it!