how to use Kimball SCD

Topics: Questions About Best Practices
Nov 22, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Hi Todd, Many thanks for the component.

but i have little trouble in using it . i am not understanding how it actually work like how it insert update or delete records into my data warehouse {Dimenstion tables}. In the built in SCD, i have just run wizard and it create related transformation and destination for me.

Here i have confusion in your component.

I have observed in your component have many outputs like "New" , "Deleted" , "Expired SCD2" so do i need to create separate oledb destination or update command myslef for updating my data warehouse. if this is the case  how it insert all rows at once which you have mentioned here in the blog.

Looking forward for your reponse.

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2010 at 4:33 PM

You do need to create components for handling "persisting" changes to your dimension table.  I intentionally did NOT make the component create those for you, because it would never create them "correctly" for your particular situation.  (Perhaps I could think about that again.)

I recommend that you attend my webcast today in about half an hour - or watch for the recording to be posted at that site, or my blog.  When I finally get time to publish v1.6, I will redo the video that accompanies it to provide more guidance on the persistence aspect.  I know the video has confused quite a few people - I never intended it to be a guide on persistence - it was only intended to show the component working...

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your response, i have used KSCD component and observed the performance over builin SCD component with large data. but i have problem how i will set my fixed attribute. like in builin SCD we can set some attributes as fixed and any changes for those in source system will mark as error. Like we never want our customer name to be changed,

therefore when ever any changes in customer name reported, we are supposing such changes as errors. We have provision to handle this in builin component but i have problem in finding same functionality with KSCD.

Looking forward for your response

Coordinator
Nov 25, 2010 at 7:02 PM

You should vote for issue 3907, add a comment, and watch it for updates...