Migrate 1.5 from SQL2005 to SQL2008

Topics: Issues 1: Installing the Component, Possible Bugs/Missing Features?
Feb 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Hi

We have made extensive use of the Kimball SCD wizard (version 1.5) in our dimensions. Now we have finally moved to SQL2008 R2 and I cant seem to do an easy migration of the wizard to the new platform. I install the 1.5 version and then upgrade the package as per the normal 2005 to 2008 recomendations. Then opening the package in 2008 version gives error for the wizard. It seems that the wizard is still expecting the 2005 version and the only way to point to the 2008 version is to delete the 2005 task and recreate it using the 2008 version. We have over 30 dimensions and anybody who uses this wizard knows how many things have to be changed in the wizards various screens. I even tried to go straight to the 1.6 version on 2008 but this gives a version error that has been posted quite a couple of times on this forum already.

Has anybody managed to migrate from 2005 to 2008 successfully without having to redo the wizard for every single dimension package. I have scoured the forum but could not find any help.

I am also a bit concerned that now that the wizard has been included in thee Pragmatic works toolkit the support on this site is rather limited.

Its a great component and I am hoping that someone can help out.

Thanks

Trevor

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Hi

A quick update on my migration issue. I have managed to install the 2008 version of 1.6. However, there still seems to be no way to get my migrated 2008 packages working other than to recreate the wizard settings for each and every one of my dimension packages. This is not ideal at all. It brings back memories of using the SSIS out of the box SCD component where you also had to recreate the settings every time a structure was changed - ok - now its related to a version change of SSIS - but its still a big deal.

I am now considering changing my package logic to rather use the new SQL 2008 MERGE statement instead of having to rely on this component. Another issue might come up when we move our packages to production in that we might not be able to install the component on our production servers as all software has to be certified by our server technicians first.

Sorry to sound so anti but I was very pro this wizard in the beginnig of our project and I punted it heavily to my peers. Now I am not so sure..

Has anybody experienced the same frustrations as me. Has anyone managed to successfully migrate a 2005 SSIS package containing the component to a 2008 package??

Thanks

Trevor

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Hi trevor

to migrate from version 1.5 to 1.6 you'll need to rename the component reference in the dtsx packages.  this is because in v1.6 the name changed from "KimballMethodSCD" with "DimensionMergeSCD" (the kimball group got all upset about there name being used!)

There is an instruction on what to change any how here: http://dimensionmergescd.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Upgrading%20Instructions&referringTitle=v1.5%20Installation%20Instructions 

Hope this helps