KimballMethodSCD validation errors at runtime

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Any help with the following would be appreciated:

I get no errors inside the editor, but when I run I get this: - what does it want me to do?

===================================

Package Validation Error (Package Validation Error)

===================================

Error at Location Data Flow Task [DTS.Pipeline]: "output "Unchanged" (3140)" contains no output columns. An asynchronous output must contain output columns.

Error at Location Data Flow Task [DTS.Pipeline]: The layout failed validation.

Error at Location Data Flow Task: There were errors during task validation.

(Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsPackageDebugger.ValidateAndRunDebugger(Int32 flags, DataWarehouseProjectManager manager, IOutputWindow outputWindow, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)
   at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsProjectDebugger.LaunchDtsPackage(Int32 launchOptions, ProjectItem startupProjItem, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)
   at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsProjectDebugger.LaunchActivePackage(Int32 launchOptions)
   at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsProjectDebugger.LaunchDtsPackage(Int32 launchOptions, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)
   at Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.Project.DataTransformationsProjectDebugger.Launch(Int32 launchOptions, DataTransformationsProjectConfigurationOptions options)

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I do have this info message within the editor:

An Auditing column has not been specified, but the auditing output has been attached. No rows wil be sent to the Auditing output.

I don't know how to get that to go away either.

help please

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM

One other annoying thing is that when I hit the finish button in the editor it gives me this message:

Kimball SCD Invalid

There are problems with this component that you can fix in this editor. Do you still want to save any changes you’ve made and close the editor?

Well that’s great but it does not tell me what the problems are or how to fix them. I see no place in the editor that has anything to do with the above errors.

is anyone out there?

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:08 PM

ok so you get past the above error by going into the editor and going to the output tab and checking and unchecking the boxes within the Unchanged section and at some point a button shows up at the bottom on the screen saying you have errors do you want me to fix them automatically and you click it and then I can run.

So on to the next problem - it runs successfully - well not really all the records from both the source and the target dim go out the invalid path of the component.

I have no idea why, it looks like it is set up correctly to me - any help would be appreciated.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Hi David,

You should add a trash destination adaptor (search at google for this addon) to your project and attach the "Invalid output" to this output. Then, put a dataviewer on the output so you can watch the rows going to this invalid output. There's also a reason column which holds the information about the invalid output. Maybe there's a duplicate business key in your source or something else not good configured. This should help finding the problem!

Grts. Ronald

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:22 PM

ok I will try that.

I know the source is good. I originally coded it up with the MS SCD but ran into issues with the destrutive wizard when I wanted to add status posting etc. So I then went with the CheckSum method and subsiquently found out that that method does not work either. So now I am trying the KimballMethodSCD and I started on a very simple dimension and I know the data is good, but I do not understand what it is trying to do. I just want new records inserted and changed records updated. So I am setting up the changed records as SCD1.

I will try what you say above.

Thanks

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:24 PM

You should test with a very small dimension (5 records...) so you can see exactly what happens. Try changing some data in your source and watch the output.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:28 PM

How do you add a dataviewer?

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Right click on the green line (precendence contraint), add dataviewer. You can only do this on a dataflow task but if you are using the ScD, this is straightforward.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM

ok it says:

Invalid Business Key Fields on all the records. Not sure what that is telling me. the key is a GUID.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Is there a problem with the KimbellMethodSCD and GUID Business Keys?

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Sorry it took so long to get you some help - many thanks to kraaitje for stepping up.

It sounds like you're using v1.5 of the component - so that's what I'll assume.  AFAIK, GUID BKs should be fine - but let me run a check on that.

Unfortunately, I haven't finished up the documentation on v1.5, so you will be on your own for a little while with it.  You might want to try v1.4 in the meantime.