No Debug tab?

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I am having where there is an obvious difference between a few row's SCD2 columns, but the control is not picking up the differences.  I see on your website that you have a debug tab, but this appears to be missing from my edit window.

I am almost 100% positive I installed 1.4, but the properties window on the control says: Version: 5, and the MSI has no version information.

I am using this with SQL Server 2008 and SSIS 2008.  Dev machine is win 7 x64.

Any advice on how to pull up that debug window is very much appreciated so I can track down this issue.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I managed to figure out what my overall problem was (with the missing SCD2 updates), but I would still like to know how to turn on debugging.

I just recently re-did all my production packages for my warehouse etl and i replaced any of the remaining "Slowly Changing DimensioN" wizards with Kimball Method SCD.  I decided to implement some sort of auditing, so I made sure that the new, scd2, and scd1 outputs also populated the "Row Change Reason" into the dimension table.  I also output some basic statistics: existing rows, source rows, new rows, updated scd1 and new scd2.

Each dimension I ahve setup this way has a warning on the control that says:

"An auditing column has not been specified, but the auditing output has been attached.  No rows will be sent to the auditing output".

I figured I could safetly ignore this warning until I had time to look into it.

It seemed that everything was ok... I was getting rows in the auditing and I saw new rows coming into my warehouse.  However, today I noticed that some SCD2 columns were not up to date.  I modified my existing dimension query to include "0 audit_key_whatever" and then in the control column usage, I set it to to be "Audit Key for Last Change".  I then created a variable and set the "variable containing audit key to use" to be that variable.  Now I get my updated SCD2 rows.

Can someone please explain to me what this is?

Also, if this is truly intended behavior, your message shouldn't be a warning about auditing... it should be an error that says you will not be receiving any new SCD2 columns, so it is clear to the person using it that anything they are trying to keep up to date, will not be up to date.

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2009 at 8:42 PM

The debug tab is likely hidden for non-administrator users... I can't recall offhand.  You can tell the version of the component by looking in the About tab.

The warning is just a warning, and doesn't (shouldn't!) affect processing at all.  You shouldn't have been getting any rows out the Auditing output, is all.

Making that change to "complete" the auditing configuration should not have affected the processing at all - although I'll check out that configuration in v1.5 to see if I can reproduce the problem.  This is not intended behaviour!  Auditing is not intended to be tied in any way to how processing of the rows is performed.

Coordinator
Nov 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Sorry - can't replicate that behaviour in v1.5, and I'm a little too busy to try on v1.4.  But if you can contrive an example to reproduce, I will definitely look into it more, if only to make sure that it's listed as a defect in v1.4, and triple-check it in v1.5.

Thanks.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Ah, if admin is required then that is probably the reason since I do not typically launch the apps as administrator.

RE: Auditing.  The wierd thing is that I was getting rows sent to the auditing output, along with the row change reason as well.

I do not think there is a need to fix it in 1.4 if it is already fixed in 1.5.

Thanks again Todd for making such a useful control and keeping with it, I really appreciate it.

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2009 at 6:01 AM

I'm confused - the Auditing output doesn't have a Row Change Reason column... the other outputs do.  But hopefully it's become irrelevant!  I wish you well using v1.4 - and feel free to try out 1.5 now, or in a couple weeks when I'm more convinced it's ready for prime time and move it to a "stable" status.

Thanks for your support!