Upgrade issues to 1.5

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Didnt have an easy transition to 2008 1.5. Ran the 1.5 installer but it didnt seem to install correctly in Bids. So I unistalled rebooted and tried again.

Encountered this error:

Error at Site [Kimball Method Slowly Changing Dimension [2614]]: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SSISComponentUtilities, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8b0551303405e96c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'SSISComponentUtilities, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8b0551303405e96c'
   at MouldingAndMillwork.SSIS.KimballMethodSCD.ProvideComponentProperties()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ManagedComponentHost.HostProvideComponentProperties(IDTSManagedComponentWrapper100 wrapper)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Which was resolved by running GACUTIL:

C:\Documents and Settings\**********>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\gacutil.exe
" /i  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents\KimballMethodSCD100.dll"
Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.  Version 3.5.30729.1
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Assembly successfully added to the cache

C:\Documents and Settings\*********>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\gacutil.exe
" /i  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents\SSISComponentUtilities.dll"

This allowed the component to be used in the package again after deleteing and starting again. However I now get this error when I try to run the package:

[Kimball Method Slowly Changing Dimension [2614]] Error: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'MouldingAndMillwork.SSIS.Utility' from assembly 'SSISComponentUtilities, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8b0551303405e96c'.
   at MouldingAndMillwork.SSIS.KimballMethodSCD.Validate()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Pipeline.ManagedComponentHost.HostValidate(IDTSManagedComponentWrapper100 wrapper)

[SSIS.Pipeline] Error: component "Kimball Method Slowly Changing Dimension" (2614) failed validation and returned error code 0x80131522.

any ideas?

Jan 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Strange, very strange. Starting again this morning, after a reboot, I could see two items in the toolbox items one for 1.4 one for 1.5 and neither of them were checked.

So I:

• checked the 1.5 box (kimballSCD100)
  • deleted the old component
  • utilized a new instance of the component

and it worked!

Definatly looks like 1.5. The miracle of the reboot eh!

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM
Edited Jan 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Now I get the same issue on the server. It appears the new (kimballSCD100) component is not showing up in the toolbox items on the server. However I can see the 1.4 edition

When I try to run the same GacUtil command I get this error:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\gacutil.exe
" /i  "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents\KimballMethodSCD100.dll"

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\gacutil.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Access is denied

I have tried rebooting but this has not solved the problem

any ideas?

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:36 PM

had to download new gacutil from .net sdk and it worked!

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

For windows 2008 server use this gacutil: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c17ba869-9671-4330-a63e-1fd44e0e2505&displaylang=en

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 5:58 PM

For those returning to this thread sometime in the future (and I don't know if blakmk did this - I'm casting no aspersions) but please make sure to close VS when you run the installer!

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I had the same problem (on my Dev machine) and made sure VS was closed - there was no previous version of Kimball installed. Haven't tried the Server yet - this needs an upgrade of Kimball 1.4 -> Kimball 1.5...

I followed the advice and installed the latest version of the gacutil (iso version here) : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=71DEB800-C591-4F97-A900-BEA146E4FAE1&displaylang=en

I had to use the gacutil on both of the dll's (KimballMethodSCD100.dll, SSISComponentUtilities.dll) otherwise it wouldn't work.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin>gacutil.exe /i "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents\KimballMethodSCD100.dll"

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\Bin>gacutil.exe /i "c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents\SSISComponentUtilities.dll"

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2010 at 3:08 AM

Prior to today, the installer for x86 2008 was not installing the DLLs properly - the SSISComponentUtilities wasn't being put in the GAC.  The release has been fixed now - the installer works properly.