32-bit and 64-bit version & performance tuning

Jul 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Hi

I'm developing packages on my 32-bit machine.  These will run on a 64-bit machine in productions.

I'm I safe to assume that like other components it, when published the package will use the 64-bit version that will be installed on the production server?

Also how do I performance tune the compenent.   For approx 17,000 records it took 2 minutes to process, which I think should be quicker - could someone explain the different types of HASH joins, under the performance tab.

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Yes, the package will run under 64-bit execution.  There is no separate DLL - it's an MSIL assembly which will get JITted to the required bitness at runtime.

You should heed any advice the component gives you with respect to performance - sort the inputs (if possible), etc...

There are links in the editor that will take you to the sources for the hash generators (they're not joins - just generators) that will explain what they do - very technical... My only advice there is to try out the different hashes - although I don't think that will affect performance much.

Spin up perfmon when your package is running to watch where it's being limited - disk, network, cpu, or ram...