Kimball SCD does not appear in SSIS Data FLow tab when choosing toolbox components

Topics: Issues 1: Installing the Component
Sep 7, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I have installed the Kimball SCD using the MSI and I see the KimballMethodSCD100.dll in the \100\DTS\Pipeline folder but I don't see the the Kimball SCD Component availale in the SSIS Data Flow tab when trying to add it to the toolbox.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2010 at 11:35 PM

You're using BIDS 2008?

What bitness of SQL Server are you using?

Do you see the DLL in your C:\Windows\Assembly folder?

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I am having the same issue.  Mu instance of SQL 2008 R2 (Database, SSAS, SSIS) is installed on my d: partitian.  I dll is in fact in the GAC.  I did notice the DLL in the c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents path instead of the c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents path.  Either way coping it to this path and restarting BIDS didnh't work.  I also tried removing and re-installing.  I am of course using BIDS 2008.

Bitness: 10.50.1600.1 RTM Enterprise Edition (64-bit)

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM
Edited Oct 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Well, I discovered the issue.  Because I am running on SQL 2008 64bit edition it installs the KimballMethodSCD100.dll in the .\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents path yet the BIDS tool still a 32 bit tool.  Just xcopy the dll into the .\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents install path of you BIDS/SQL and it works fine.  You will still need the DLL in the GAC for the package to run.

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 12:46 AM

The installer (I think) will default to installing to your specified Program Files subfolder for SQL.  If you have that on another drive, I thought it would install there.  Perhaps it does not - I'm not great at installers.  Regardless, it should install properly in the GAC, which is a requirement.

It's very easy to check to see if it is properly installed in the required folders, and very easy to fix it if it isn't.  You need the DLL in the Program Files folder of SQL, under the "100" or "90" folder (for 2008 or 2005, respectively), then under the DTS\PipelineComponents folder.  If you have a 64 bit install, you should copy that DLL to BOTH the 32 and 64 bit locations.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:33 PM
Edited Aug 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I have the file 'DimensionMergeSCD100.dll' in both folders '.\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents'  and '.\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents'.

The component still does not appear in the Toolbox  under Data Flow Transformations or within the listed Choose Toolbox Items...

Also noticed the file 'SSISComponentUtilities100.DLL' is missing.  May be that has something to do with it. Any ideas?

P.S. Should I try the manual GAC thing?  Will need some step-by-step instructions plz.

Thanks

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Solved the problem!  This article had the solution http://blog.trendit.nl/2011/03/kimball-scd-component-not-showing-in-ssis-data-flow-items.html

My SQL installation is across two separate disk drives so I had to copy the DLL to the same folders on the other drives.

Happy day! ;-)