New rows inserted on every run

Topics: General
Dec 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I'm trying to familiarize myself with this component and running into an issue with how changes are actually commited to the Data Warehouse.  I'm currenty working with the Employee dimension.  The Employee Key is INT IDENTITY(1,1) in SQL.  I have 48 rows that get inserted on the first run through the SCD component.  If I apply some changes and run through again I find that all 48 rows will be inserted again into the Employee dimension table.  If I set a data viewer just before OLE DB Destination I can see that each row is being identified properly by the SCD component, but it seems the destination is just writing all records passed again and not doing updates.  Because of this I will eventually end up with lots of rows that are marked as the current row.  Any help would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Dec 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

You need to do some reading and training with SSIS in order to understand the data flow, and the purpose of Destination components.  There may or may not be an issue with how you've configured the SCD component - but the fact that you're sending all the output rows to a Destination component and expecting it to do updates leads me to believe you're not very familiar with SSIS and the Data Flow.  The walkthrough videos may help you, but they don't specifically pay attention to this detail.