Side-By-Side 1.5 and 1.6 in Development and Production

Topics: Issues 1: Installing the Component
Jun 9, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Hi Folks,

Is it possible to side-by-side the assemblies for 1.5 and 1.6 in dev and production.

I have a bunch of live projects using 1.5, and I am developing using 1.6. When I come to deploy, I don't want to have to upgrade all those old projects to 1.6. Likewise, if I need to investigate a production issue, I don't want to have to uninstall 1.6 from my laptop and install 1.5 to view the package.

I have tried installing 1.5 then 1.6 (1.5 is automatically removed). 

I have tried installing 1.6 then 1.5 (error, newer version already installed).

I have tried robbing the assemblies out of Packages (DimensionMergeSCD100.dll and KimballMethodSCD100.dll), installing version 1.6, then gac'ing 1.5 back in and copying the assembly back into packages, but I get a fusion error when ssis tries to bind the appropriate component to the assembly.

Any ideas?

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Hi,

I am faced with exactly the same problem - So I am sticking with version 1.5

However I would really like to use 1.6 side-by-side especially with regard to how it fixes the problem with 'Expired' rows - if all attributes are set to SCD1 changes...

Can a version be released that can be installed side-by-side with the old version so that we can leave old SSIS packages untouched until the next release cycle?

I have almost 20 SSIS packages using the old version and do not want to update them one at a time just for a new version of the component.

Thank You,

Ian

Aug 5, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I have a couple of solutions now. They can be used side by side both in production and dev.

If you have 1.5 installed in production, using another machine, use msiexec to unpack the installer (msiexec /a PathToMSIFile /qb TARGETDIR=DirectoryToExtractTo). Get the dll's out of the GAC folder. 

Put the 1.6 versions in your gac. 

Remember, test this on a dev/test machine first. 

To get design time side by side, I installed 1.6 ( which removes 1.5), I then unpacked 1.5, copied the two dll's and put them in the gac and also in the components path (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\DTS\PipelineComponents). 

Your other option for dev which may be better is to use a vm like virtual box.