Surrogate Key not available as an option in drop down

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:55 PM
Using SQL Server 2005.  Install went fine.  When trying to configure existing dimension the Surrogate key is not an option in the drop down.  Is there something I am doing wrong?
Oct 28, 2008 at 12:19 AM
There are type restrictions on the columns that are able to be identified as the Surrogate Key.  That's my best bet as to why you don't see that option for the particular column you want to use as the SK - it MUST be an integral type (DT_I1, DT_I2, DT_I4, DT_I8, DT_UI1, DT_UI2, DT_UI4, DT_UI8).

If that's what's causing it not to show - and you think that's wrong, please let me know why.
If that's not it - please let me know that too, so I can scratch my head more...
Oct 28, 2008 at 12:34 AM
A SQL Server table is my existing dimension. Data type is INT.  Are you telling me I need to convert it using a derived column transform ?
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:01 AM
Had changed the column type earlier from decimal to int but had to re-add the table to get it to understand the change and now I can see surrogate key as an option. Thanks for your help.  I hope this transform works because I don't want to have to re-do all the work with the existing SSIS SCD dimension every time I make a change.  How frustrating.  But then again you knew that ;-)