Status of v1.4 Beta

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2009 at 9:46 PM
Thank you to those who have downloaded the v1.4 beta and provided feedback though the Discussions, Issues, and direct email - I really appreciate it!

The 1.4 release is very close to being released as stable - I'm awaiting a fix confirmation from one person, and I'm shoehorning one or two more features in and doing some testing of my own.

However - PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING:

If you've downloaded and used the v1.4 beta, you may have already had, and will definitely have a problem when upgrading to the stable v1.4.  During development of v1.4, I was messing around with the versioning on the component, thinking I was doing "a good thing" by making the component's .Net assembly have the "correct" version number of "1.4.0.0" (or similar).  Apparently, however, this breaks BIDS' ability to link up the old version of the component with the new one, and upgrade your packages in-place.  BIDS/SSIS complains that your KSCD component "can't be upgraded", and you basically have to delete your old component from the design surface and add a new one.

Here's the worse news - anyone who's downloaded the v1.4 beta and either made "new" packages with it, or painstakingly "upgraded" their packages from 1.3... will have to "upgrade" them manually again by deleting and re-adding the component to the design surface.  Many apologies, again.  I decided that it was much more acceptable to revert to the "old" version number to restore compatibility with v1.3 than it was to intentionally break everyone's packages.  Especially since I now know I can't touch that version number, ever again.

The "good news" is that all you folks who didn't use the beta will upgrade in-place just fine... (which sucks for the intrepid and valued beta testers...)
Mar 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM
Thanks for the very important heads up on this.
Good to know that the beta will not be able to be upgraded in place and that helps us to plan accordingly!
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM
I am currently in the process of prepping v1.4 for final release - but have run into an issue in VStudio 2005.  I've posted in the forums (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/4a6b8d96-a91a-466a-b444-edcf977f99b9) but will have to wait for a resolution.  Apologies for the delay...
Mar 24, 2009 at 11:03 PM
Would you be able to list the issues that will make it into the 1.4 release?
Might you be able to evaluate the "Support 2005 and 2008 Side-by-Side (Same PC) Installation" (Issue 2389 http://kimballscd.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=2389) while waiting for the current VStudio 2005 problem resolution?
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM
The current release page shows what's getting in.  (I know it will disappoint you, Joe :) )

And unfortunately, I can't resolve that side-by-side install issue without the VStudio problem getting resolved.  I simply can't fix the versioning and build properties (such as the DLL name) without that getting resolved!

And on top of that, I'm being dragged into some COBOL work (ugh), so will have little time to devote to this project in the coming weeks.  Hope to get that out of the way quickly though!
Mar 26, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Edited Mar 28, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Thanks so very much!

By the way I'm contemplating my own Batch Destination as the other one only is for 2008 and uses an ADO.NET connection.

I am considering:

1. Accept any OLE DB or ADO.NET connection manager

2. (Like you) parse the SSIS lineage and the target destination table to get column metadata

3. Use column metadata to help generate the UPDATE FROM and INSERT SELECT (possibly permit special handling as needed e.g. final target using IDENTITY)

4. Create temporary or permanent staging tables to receive SSIS pipeline data

5. When finished receiving SSIS pipeline data exectue UPDATE FROM and INSERT SELECT to load data from staging tables to target tables (in batch)

6. Gather statistics (row counts, processing time, etc... - sound familiar)

This will be hugely ambitious for me as:

1. Have not written code in 2 years

2. Never written code using SSIS API

Gotta try, right!

----- Original Message -----

The current release page shows what's getting in. (I know it will disappoint you, Joe :) )

And unfortunately, I can't resolve that side-by-side install issue without the VStudio problem getting resolved. I simply can't fix the versioning and build properties (such as the DLL name) without that getting resolved!

And on top of that, I'm being dragged into some COBOL work (ugh), so will have little time to devote to this project in the coming weeks. Hope to get that out of the way quickly though!
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:04 PM
Download the source code for John's Batch Destination and make your changes!  (That's why the source code is there!)

A few observations though:
1. Converting it to 2005 is "easy" - as long as it doesn't use any new special features of 2008, and I don't beleive it does.  I'm only aware that the Sharepoint source/dest by Kevin Idzi isn't downgradeable due to some new 2008 API use.
2. You can extend the component to work with non ADO.Net connection managers - there's a blog post by Matt Masson on that topic - except that by doing so, you make the component non-SSIS-transaction-compliant.  (It won't obey/follow SSIS transaction management.)

If you're really wanting to do that - I'd suggest you start with John's code and look it over.  If you're wanting to make a component that "matches up" input and output columns, and formats for INSERT/UPDATE commands - I might be able to help you there too.  I've written an alternative to the OLE DB Command component that's a little rough around the edges that does that.  It only uses ADO.Net, but it "understands" INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE SQL commands, and provides an interface for column mapping, instead of the retarded "?" placeholders and "param_0" mapping garbage.  (Apologies to the hard working people at MS who obviously just didn't have time to make it right.)

I've wanted to start those other projects on CodePlex to host them, but I haven't had the time...
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2009 at 3:32 PM
I'm still waiting on resolution of my VStudio 2005 issue.  MSFT still hasn't taken me up on my offer to just give them the VHD so they can troubleshoot it themselves :)

And Joe - you may want to edit your last post here to remove your email so it doesn't get scraped and harvested by spammers...
Coordinator
Mar 31, 2009 at 6:36 PM
I have a workaround for my VS2005 issue, so as time permits, I will be assembling and publishing v1.4.  Stay tuned.
Coordinator
Apr 6, 2009 at 10:46 PM
My last very helpful beta tester returned a green light.  I am now updating the releases with v1.4!  Please read over the upgrading notes completely once it's up and marked as the default release.  Those of you upgrading may have a little work to do, if you involved yourself in the beta...

Again, many thanks to (at least) three of you beta testers who have returned invaluable feedback!  Joe, Fred, Steve - please come back and help when I release v1.5 to beta... as much of the stuff you guys wanted in it that I can possibly do will be in there.
Coordinator
Apr 7, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Kimball Method SCD v1.4 has been issued as the stable, default release for the project.